Financial Transmission Rights are financial hedges that protect energy traders from price uncertainty between nodes. These uncertainties are the result of transmission losses and constraints.
The FTR market commenced in 2013, following significant industry consultation and development of Code requirements.
Energy Market Services was appointed by the Electricity Authority as the FTR Manager Service Provider to implement the FTR auction system and operate the market.
Benefits for your business:
- manage locational price risk in a nodal market
- manage your future risk out to 26 months
- manage locational price risk associated with traditional hedge products
- underwrite or support other risk management products
- a portfolio of FTRs can offset NZX prudential requirements
- expand your retail business to new geographic areas
- participation is free
- monthly auctions.
The FTR portal can be found here.